I have been playing with automation software to backup my computer, move files around, do some data entry, and organize my life. All of my automations so far.
Software/Accounts/Hardware required for this automation:
- Mac OSX
I was looking for a way to quickly convert a .doc or .docx to a .pdf without having to open, click Print, and then PDF the document. I went to Google. The first article I found was great, except that they were using an older version of Automator so a couple things didn’t jive with version 2.2.4. Also, based on their instructions, I would always be happy if my desktop filled up with random PDFs. Yeah, that doesn’t work for me.
Here’s what I did:
- Create a new Service (there are no plugins anymore)
- At the top dropdown where it says “Service receives selected” choose “files or folders”
- Where it says “in” choose “Finder.app”
- In the workflow add the following:
- Get selected Finder Items
- Convert Format of Word documents – choose the “Portable Document Format (PDF)” option
- Save the service as “Word to PDF”
Now you should be able to go to any word document(s) and cntrl+click (aka right click) then select “Word to PDF” from the bottom of your dropdown. You should see a bunch of stuff happen, like Word opening and closing, this is normal. Then, you will notice that you have a copy of your file as a PDF in your directory.
I am doing this because Evernote will embed a PDF into the note so it is readable, which means I don’t have to open a file to take notes on it!
Please consider donating Dogecoin if you like my content.